Monday, May 10, 2010

A big AllyScraps welcome to Melissa Phillips!

We are so excited to have Melissa Phillip's as one of our guest designers here at AllyScraps during the month of May. A big welcome to you Melissa.



Hi, my name is Melissa Phillips. I live with my husband and little girl in Southern Nevada. Looking back, I think I have always had a love for paper, glitter, and glue….it’s fascinated me since I was little, but I didn’t give myself the time needed to explore this hobby until I graduated from Brigham Young University with my bachelor’s degree in Marriage, Family, and Human Development. It seemed that at that time, my ducks were in a row and I was ready to do something for myself and so I started making Thank You notes to send out after my little girl arrived. I was enchanted….and my love for paper-crafting has continued to grow.

My work has been published in Scrapbook Trends, CARDS magazine, Paper Trends, Simply Handmade, Artful Blogging, Creating Keepsakes, Scrapbooks Etc., Paper Crafts magazine, and Dutch Cards magazine. I have also had the privilege of contributing my layouts, cards, and altered items to a few books as well.

Sharing my love of card-making and paper-crafting with others is one of my most favorite things to do….getting others excited about creating what their heart desires and enjoying the process as they go along is the most rewarding part of this journey for me.

Melissa has made a wedding memorabilia booklet for us this week. It is SO soft and beautiful.... just perfect for a gift for the bride.



Here are some notes and instructions from Melissa.

This little wedding booklet was made specifically to give the bride a very special place to record her thoughts about her special occasion. I included mini coffee stained envelopes to hold her notes, letters, ephemera, etc.. Also on the back of each chipboard coaster a spot has been saved to adhere a picture about her engagement, the ring, the bridal bouquet, her groom, wedding party, etc.

Paint the front and back of each chipboard coaster using off-white acrylic paint. Let the dry, sand the edges to distress and then machine stitch around the edges.
For the top chipboard piece, apply a dusting of glitter after painting, distressing, and stitching.
For each page front and back, cut a block of coordinating paper to fit just inside the stitching. Ink to distress and adhere.
Tie chipboard coasters together with envelopes mixed in using ribbon.
Use die cut tags, Artisan Swirls, buttons, adhesive pearls, rubons, ribbons, and trim to embellish each page and envelope depending on what you’d like the topic of each page to be.












Melissa used the Postage Stamp Coaster book by Maya Road as the base of her project. So cute! The paper is from Graphic 45 , along with the 12 x 12 tag collection. Melissa used the most beautiful embellishments... starting with these Maya Road trinket pins , Pink Paislee Artisan Swirls, chipboard buttons by Jenni Bowlin and Maya Road ruffle edge trim. Melissa Frances white ribbon and lace too! Love every single thing!

Thanks so much Melissa for this wonderful project, we are really looking forward to your weekly inspiration through May. Here's some more inspiration from Melissa too.

~ Dana

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, I love Melissa Phillips' work! And this wedding booklet is to die for. My son is getting married in June and this would make a wonderful gift for his bride. Wonder if Cathy could make it into a kit ;-)

Erika M. said...

Melissa's work is amazing! I'm a long time follower and am quite excited that she is a guest designer!

Cathy/ Ally Scraps said...

I am so excited to have Melissa as a guest designer! I too am a long tome follower! This project is absolutley beautiful! Thank you Melissa!

Nishant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.